A 24-class sloop launched in 1918, HMS FLYING FOX first arrived in Bristol in 1921. She then went to Pembroke Dock to be refitted as an RNVR Drill Ship and returned to Bristol late 1923. She was re-commissioned in 1924.
In 1930, Bristol Division RNVR was re-named Severn Division RNVR, and in 1958, Severn Division RNVR became Severn Division RNR.
HMS FLYING FOX was decommissioned in 1972 and towed to the breakers Birds (Swansea) Ltd at Cardiff in 1973.
In 1972, Severn Division RNR moved ashore to new accommodation in Winterstoke Road, Bristol, into a former TA Centre. The new HQ was opened by Rear Admiral J Klaver Royal Netherlands Navy, Chief of Staff to CINCHAN.
In 1994, Severn Division RNR was re-designated a Reserve Training Centre.
This gallery contain photographs from numerous sources. If you would like to add yours, please forward with explanatory information to:
Some images are cropped in the gallery. Click on an image to view the full photograph, see additional information and leave comments. Click again on the photograph to enlarge it.