HMS DAEDALUS 1880
HMS DAEDALUS was towed to Bristol in 1860. She was a 46-gun fifth rate launched in 1826, reduced to 20 guns in 1843.
On 6 August 1848, Captain McQuhae of the Daedalus and several of his officers and crew (on route to St Helena) saw a sea serpent which was subsequently reported (and debated) in The Times. The vessel sighted what they named as an enormous serpent between the Cape of Good Hope and St Helena. The serpent was witnessed to have been swimming with four feet (1.2 m) of its head above the water and they believed that there was another sixty feet (18 m) of the creature in the sea.
Decommissioned in 1910 and towed for scrap in 1911.
This gallery contain photographs from numerous sources. If you would like to add yours, please forward with explanatory information to:
Some images are cropped in the gallery. Click on an image to view the full photograph, see additional information and leave comments. Click again on the photograph to enlarge it.